The University of Maryland, College Park is the state's flagship university and one of the nation's preeminent public research universities. A global leader in research, entrepreneurship and innovation, UMD is home to more than 41,000 students, 14,000 faculty and staff, and 377,000 alumni all dedicated to the pursuit of Fearless Ideas.
Located just outside Washington, D.C., we discover and share new knowledge every day through our renowned research enterprise and programs in academics, the arts and athletics. We are committed to social entrepreneurship as the nation’s first “Do Good” campus.
By the Numbers
- Founded in 1856
- No. 22 public research institution—U.S. News & World Report
- No. 15 most innovative school—U.S. News & World Report
- No. 8 best value college—Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine
- No. 7 entrepreneurship for undergraduates—The Princeton Review/Entrepreneurship magazine
- 41,000 students
- 377,000 alumni
- 17 Fulbright Scholars in 2016-17
- 447 study abroad destinations
- 800+ student clubs
- Students from 50 states and 118 countries
- Faculty includes 3 Nobel laureates, 2 Pulitzer Prize winners, 3 Emmy winners and 2 Tony winners
- 92 Undergraduate Majors, 107 Master's Programs and 83 Doctoral Programs